Saturday, May 13, 2006

COMPREHENSION - II

Request:
Re-read the following text till you stop taking stands for or against its content.
In other words have a first hand experience of reading it, devoid of biases, personal or political.

Crux:
This is a strictly personal article as I wouldn’t have cared to write it for any body in this world except you.

Preface:
It’s good that you are thoughtful.
Even better that you have chosen to enlighten me on what Feminism is and what it isn’t ?

Maybe with a pre-conception that I generally tend to believe and assert all those points which you note as it isn’t.
Maybe without a pre-conception, just a general trial to clarify the almost biased and cryptic concepts of feminism in a male psyche.

Your trial and the points are well convincing and eloquent.

Lecture:
Foreseeing you as an artist, I get spasms when I sense a hindrance to your advance that you are unaware off. You may ask, how is it that I come to know of something happening to you which you yourself do not realize.
May be my age and a parental concern prompts me.
May be I am altogether wrong in my apprehensions.

Coming back to the point of my foreseeing you as an artist, more specifically as a writer who writes fiction and poetry.

You may assert it now that it’s just my vision and you do not share it.
You may agree to me.

Whatever may the case be.


Would you deny to a point that you think.
You analyze.
You conceptualize.
You take stands.
You conclude.

I believe no.

This makes me term you sensitive.

And that is why I love to have a dialogue with you.

Sensitive people have their defined politics.
Some have them permanently fixed.
Some keep changing but are unaware of the change.
Some change aware.

I just want to remind you that an artist is inherently of the third kind.

With my bias of wishing to see you as an artist, I get disturbed when I find you rigid in your politics. But as I have mentioned earlier, my vision of you as an artist is solely mine, and you have all the rights to deny it.
Still when it comes to feelings, I fall helpless. I cannot satisfy myself cerebrally by saying that, fine, she is what she is, who am I to mould her?

I have already started doubting whether this essay has been communicative enough to express my feel.
Ummeed pe duniya tiki hai

So after claiming for myself that you are sensitive and believing that you are a writer, let me introduce you to few other facts of our existence that for me hold more importance than feminism.
This again does not imply that feminism is anyhow a neglected realm in my thought process.
Just that I have my priorities.


To start with let me display a little evidential data.
1: 49 children died of starvation in the month of April 2006 in the district of Janjgir.
2: In a survey of World Food Programme (for which I made a documentary) for the district of Raigarh, it was reported that the drinking water supply was just 23% of the entire need in the rural area of Raigarh.
3: 37% of the total labor in the construction sites of Raipur are children below 17 years of age.
4: 167 villages in Raigarh district do not have primary health care establishments.
5: 32 villages of Dharamjagarh tehsil do not have access to the district headquarters in rains due to lack of roads.

Interesting find I collected from an NGO.

So what I infer is that in developing and underdeveloped countries like India, the predominant binary is that of Rich/Poor. Something that overshadows the binary of Female/Male in my ideological stand.

To me thus, the issues that question my sensitivity listed in a priority basis are as follows.

I call them cosmic threats.
1: Consumerism
2: Environmental apathy
3: Animal rights
4: Child labor
5: Women exploitation
6: Poverty.

When I confront you on your stands, it is for a reason to see your sensitivity grow and embrace all such issues rather than stick to one. And then let it reflect beautifully and effectually in your works, poetry, fiction or academics.

I hope that I made myself clear.





Afterword: About me.

Well before you pronounced it for the first time in your consciousness – feminism.

I had published at least 50 poems and an article on women.
Had been always related to women.
Fancied my self as the only existent male in a women’s world.
(you remember my image of a room filled with 100girls and me)
Promised myself 400 hrs of kiss.

And now after you have evolved it in your conscious – feminism.

I co-exist with a wife who knows how caring I am.
A daughter who fascinates me no ends just by her being.

I repeat re-read it.
Tukun

13 comments:

concerned citizen said...

Are you a little arrogant along w/everything else?
Who is biased?
I might be misinterpreting your post, but, you sound like a real chauvinist to me.

BTW, Blogs are public domain, if you speak to one woman you speak to us all.

Siddharth Tripathy said...

I never thought I am arrogant, But youknow its so easy to think wrong...
May be I am arrogant.
May be I am biased
May be I am a chauvinist.

I would accept anything what you or anybody says.

Till some miracle doesnt take away the pleasure of writing from me.

And honestly I am not that well read a person to be indulging in such debates.
But I feel am not untrue.

Sorry for any arrogance and I request you to kindly specify the words & the sentences written by me that imply my arrogance to you.

This would help me to rectify things for the future.
Once again I might be absolutely wrong in allwhat I say, and I have no hesitation whatsoever in accepting my mistakes, keep pointing them out...and I will make myself a cleaner person day after day.

Siddharth Tripathy said...

And one more thing I forgot to add...writing for me is always a personal experience...and reading even...
so when I address my words to someone it naturally is addressed to everyone in their relative space and time

concerned citizen said...

It's not what you say, it's HOW you say it.

You sound condescending to me.

Reading over your post, maybe I'm misinterpreting you???

Siddharth Tripathy said...

Even I found myself to be arrogant while reading the last few pieces..

Interesting though...that the words mean so many different things at different times...

Another thing -

I love the 'maybe' we use so often.
It primarily indicates the dubious conceptions of our minds and also adds a smack of modesty.

concerned citizen said...

I call it,
Giving you the benefit of doubt.

it is true that feminism is more of a priority to some people then to others, that's natural.

But, it's people that are focused & passionate on a issue that promote changes that need to be made.

I do admire your list of 'cosmic threats.'
What do you mean by animal rights? I mean, why is that a priority for you?

Runa said...

a nice conversation indeed, but definetly nobody other than me can understand it fully
. my boss calls will write later

Siddharth Tripathy said...

By the people For the people
By the people For the Tiger

Lets think about

By the tiger For the people

concerned citizen said...

What kind of cryptic statement is that?

Amalendu said...

perhaps.. I too understand a bit….but.. I don't know if I can claim it so to be.
I also hope, I am not an encroacher. The words in the “Comprehensions” definitely involves passion, viewpoints with a conscious effort to be unbiased and for sure, not arrogant. And, there is nothing in that disqualifying it to be in public domain. I am repeating what I wrote in my comments to another writing on Feminism

Once Gunar Myrdal, an economists and noble laureate said, “there cannot be a viewpoint without a view”… and in a view an ideology is embedded. Any “ism” involves a viewpoint which also means there can be counter view. By saying Feminism is not this and that I believe you adher to the basics.

Siddharth Tripathy said...

Now comrade how to make people understand that its impossible to make them understand.
thank god we discovered quite early..

COMMUNICATION IS A BLISS

Amalendu said...

We are governed by so many cosmic forces… it is often difficult to single out the factors… Better leave those to economists or statisticians to make their earnings…I don’t know why am I writing all these… but what I remembered all of a sudden that the day you published it coincides with one of our friends (if you call so) birthday….and I remember a song do lafzon ki hai…

Sometimes I feel we are so poor and friendless… how many divides we can take on us….caste, class, region, religion, sex, gender and so on?

myriadmind said...

i find aakrosh and a sense of feeling hurt no matter how subdued it is
and thats good
not much more needed to make a thoughful person react
besides reactions are always better than responses
it calls for involvment not mere engagment